Monday, February 3, 2014

Thrift Stars



Coat: Larry Levine (thrifted) Dress: Merona (thrifted)
Cardigan(not shown): J Crew (thrifted)
Booties: Maddie Girl  Scarf: self-made Sunglasses: Joe Fresh



Thrifting often results in unusual pieces being added to my wardrobe. Lots of unsual pieces....you know the ones that are cast offs because on one else wants them. They are easy to come by but not always easy to wear. While those pieces make dressing fun and creative, I love to find wardrobe staples. Black dress pants, blazers, skirts, white dress shirts.....in the world of thrifting these are the stars. This coat is one of those thrift stars, a black Larry Levine, lambswool and cashmere coat. I purchased this coat many years ago and has served me so well. Worth every penny of the $10 I spent on it!

As for this white dress...when I found it, I was a smidge confused as to what season it belonged to. Is it winter or summer? The fabric is a heavier tweed but it is also sleeveless. The fact that it was white didn't bother me at all, I think white looks great in the winter as long as you still look cozy and warm. So I paired it with my favorite black cardigan and tights. I was comfy cozy.  I may be a hardy Canadian but bare legs and arms in this weather just don't work for me.

Due to the Jungle January challenge, I have seen many an animal print prowling about the webs. I had this print in my stash for some time now and always knew that it would be made into a simple scarf. It has the perfect weight and feel for a scarf. I don't wear animal prints very much so this is just the perfect amount for me. I really feel that it pulled this outfit together quite nicely! 

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty and feminine look Margo. We often see women seeing a complete palette of winter whites, but I love the chic way you've combined the lovely dress with dark hues. Great, great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about picking up odd bits at the thrift store. I'm really trying to only shop there with a plan these days, as otherwise I get lots of bits that don't match. I think these neutrals look gorgeous - you are right to describe them as stars - and the scarf just pulls the outfit together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philippa! I'm trying to do the same, purchase with purpose.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, Margo. I just can´t believe how cheap that wonderful coat was! Amazing! And the dress looks really pretty too! Your style is unique and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Merche, it was a lucky find but after looking at the pictures, I probably could have used a lint brush on it! :) Oh well!

      Delete
  4. $10!!!! for wool and cashmere! That is so amazing!
    You look so cute, snow suits you well and totally accentuates the cute white dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! I'm glad you think that the snow suits me because we keep getting more! :)

      Delete
  5. that's a really lovely outfit. I love winter white! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I'm a big fan of winter white too.

      Delete
  6. Once again you have shown us your 'great sense of style'. These 'stars' are so classy. Love the whole outfit. Great finds, Margo. :)
    Almeda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Almeda, I was so lucky to find these stars!

      Delete
  7. I love winter white as well and I just love how you've paired it with the scarf. Just lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect outfit as always. I'd love to be as put together as you, tell me your secrets. ;)

    ReplyDelete