Monday, February 10, 2014

Bubbling Over



Well, I finally feel like sewing again! But before I get to my sewing project I'd like to talk a little thrift with you. This coat. Serious love affair with this one people. I bought it a couple of years ago and it is a classic piece in my coat collection. I can't tell you how many times I have been complimented on this one. I just love the silhouette and color. And of course its warmth!! The snow is beautiful but chilly!

Coat:Kenar(thrifted) Turtleneck:Denver Hayes Skirt:self-made Booties:Madden Girl
Necklace:Suzy Shier Sunglasses:Joe Fresh

Ok, so enough gushing over my thrift find and on to the skirt. I used Newlook 6107 view D.

My Review: 

Pattern:  Newlook 6107

Fabric used: A lovely polka dot wool! The polka dots are flocked.

Instructions: The instructions were clear and straight forward.

Changes I made: The only change I made was adding a lining to this skirt. I like a lined skirt in the winter...it makes wearing tights easier. Oh and I used an invisible zipper...as per usual for me. They are my favorite. 

Repeat worthy? Yup! This skirt is basic and has a great fit for me. I can see myself making this one repeatedly!






It feels good to be sewing again... a dress and a skirt all within a week! I'm bubbling over with excitement and a wonderful sense of accomplishment! The only down side to such productivity is a VERY messy sewing room and a laundry hamper bubbling over as well! 

8 comments:

  1. You always find the coolest stuff at your thift stores!! Love the skirt as well. That may be a pattern I need to add to my TNT challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to live in an area that has a great thrift store chain. Sometimes I don't think people believe me when I tell them that I thrifted something this good. BUT I DID :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with ShanniLoves, around here you wouldn't find stuff like that in thrift. It would be in consignment and still cost you a pretty penny. I love the outfit as usual. Mmmm polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Nova Scotia we actually have a chain of thrift stores called Guy's Frenchy's. They are all over the province and that's where I do my thrift shopping. If you guys are ever in N.S. look them up...and me too. :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! and so practical!
    I only recently noticed you were in N.Scotia. I've always wanted to visit there, probably because of L.M.Montgomery books but also because of all the Scottish people who emigrated during the late 1800s due to the Highland Clearances. Maybe one day you could do a little N.S. blog post? I'd love to see it from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous skirt, Margo, and another incredible find! May I ask you where you found the lovely fabric??

    Almeda :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a find! I love visiting charity shops/thrift stores when I go new places as you never know what you'll find. I love your skirt as well - you always seek to get the fit so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely coat in a classic style and colour. It will probably last you years! Likewise your new skirt. It's lovely when you really feel like sewing and find a pattern you can use again and again.

    ReplyDelete