Friday, May 3, 2013

MMM Day 3 Nautical

Friday's are themed for this challenge, adding just another element of fun and creativity to the mix. Today's theme is water. Yeah! I am blessed to live on the water, specifically the Atlantic Ocean kind of water. Waking up to a beautiful view everyday. So naturally, my mind went to a nautical theme. And as luck would have it, I just made this striped T. 

Please disregard the sleepy eyes, this was taken at 6:30 am before heading to the airport.
  
T-shirt:self made Jeans:Talbots (thrifted)
Trench:Vertigo Paris(thrifted)
Scarf: thrifted Shoes: Payless (old) Lobster Belt: J Crew (thrifted)

 I have never been a big fan of sewing knits but I may have changed my mind after making this top. I found this Hampton knit, a little more expensive than I am usually comfortable with but it felt so nice and it was striped. I love stripes! After being unsuccessful in finding a T-shirt pattern that I liked, I decided to sacrifice a beloved boatneck T for this project. I liked the cut and fit of the T but the fabric was thin and not in the nice soft, thin way. It got the chop!


After a few test runs on scraps, I found the settings on my sewing machine that works best for knits. A VERY narrow zigzag worked better for me than the knit stitch programmed into my machine. I proceeded to sew it up and serge my seam allowances. When it came to the hem, using a twin needle for knits worked beautifully. Everything just sort of came together that day. Don't you just love when that happens? 


Looking at this outfit, I think it has a very Parisian feel to it. If the next theme is Paris...I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment