Thursday, August 14, 2014

Wedding Wear




  With wedding season in full swing right now, I thought about this dress that has been stashed in the back of my closet. I made it to wear to a wedding many years ago and long before I ever even thought of blogging or even knew what a blog was. 


I made this dress from a Sewstylish Simplicity 3867 pattern. With its empire cut and tie at the high waist, it is a flattering dress. I also love the pleated skirt and tend to choose pleats over gathers every time. As I look at this dress and pattern again, I'm thinking that the top would look rather cute made in a soft lawn. I think that it would be awesome in a maxi length as well.


My review:

Pattern: Simplicity 3867

Fabric Used: A poly charmeuse in ivory with taupe polka dots that I remember getting at a very great price. Like $1.99 a meter! 

Instructions: I followed the pattern instructions without any difficulty. I do remember rereading the section on attaching the waistband/tie a couple of times but it came together nicely.

Changes I made: I didn't make any changes to this pattern which is so unlike me. I liked it so much that I made another in a navy polka dot but I no longer have that version. 



Aren't these polka dots great!? Little circles rather that traditionally solid dots. I think I may have mentioned before that while I love polka dots, I prefer them to be a little irregular in some way to prevent them from becoming too cutesy.



18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, classic dress and how lovely to revisit it after years. Perfect for summer weddings, I am sure you're pleased you kept it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa! It was fun to pull it out again. I just need a wedding to attend...

      Delete
  2. Your dress is beautiful and flattering, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nilla, I was pleased to find it again.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful dress, it's so flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! I think this style is flattering for most, with the tie nipping in at the smallest part of the waist.

      Delete
  4. So pretty Margo. I'm always impressed how you can make big 4 patterns look classy and expensive looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....thanks Heather! I would really love to try more Indie patterns after seeing your fab dresses.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress! And ditto to what Heather said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shanni! Same compliment from you two awesome ladies? Wow! I'll take it, thank you!!!

      Delete
  6. I think it's very romantic looking! Perfect for a wedding! Love those killer shoes too! Hope you're enjoying summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I was a little worried that maybe it was a tad too "baby doll" in style but hopefully the longer length helps combat that.

      Delete
  7. Very pretty! I really like the fabric it's perfect for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Margo! And how nice that you have me-made dresses you've had for years - and that you look so fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I have many me-mades that are long gone now, it's just too bad that they will never be documented here....oh well!

      Delete