Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Summer Uniform



I want to wear this dress everyday. Like... Every. Day. I think I wore it three days this week and it's only Wednesday.... true story.


After searching long and hard for this dress... I had no luck finding it so I decided to remake it. Of course I couldn't make an exact replica because I didn't have any of that beautiful green fabric left in my stash. I did however have some of this coral and white geometric print that I love. Hooray for the stash again!!  


I tend to think that a bold geometric print like this one needs a pattern that has fewer pieces to allow the print to shine. I like this Burda pattern for that reason. It has minimal design elements yet comes across as quite expensive looking. Chic and simple. Sometimes we think that the more "bells and whistles" a garment has the better, when really, all that fuss and fluff can leave it looking cheap. Especially if the fabric is cheap to start with.... So I say, if the fabric is cheap (as is the case here)...at least make sure that the design isn't.


My review:

Pattern: Burda 7378

Fabric Used: A geometric polyester print that wears like a dream and washes well too.

Instructions:  This dress is quite simple to make. I did change the construction process a bit by attaching the facings and shoulders, then pulling them through before sewing the side seams. You can read more about this process to give a neater finish to a sleeveless garment here

Changes I made: I didn't make any design changes to this one. Love it as is!




These days I am living in my dresses...they are so easy to wear. What is your go to uniform during the summer months?


22 comments:

  1. Your ideas for combining fabrics and patterns are spot on! I will bear them in mind. I'm at the sea quite a lot in the summer, for me it's always striped/nautical inspired separates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa! I'm a big fan of the nautical look too!

      Delete
  2. I just bought this pattern! Lovely to see it looks as great made up as I hoped. I find it hard to go past a summer dress when the weather heats up - there's nothing more effortless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it's a great pattern! It's quite easy to put together.

      Delete
  3. I love your philosophy on combining cheap fabric with the right pattern :D Because let's face it, all I have is cheap fabric! The dress looks very chic and the color is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nilla! I really like the pairing part of sewing...the possibilities are endless!

      Delete
  4. Perfect! The pleating at the bust line works great with the print. I can see why you want to wear it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good on you-love your fabric! No wonder you want to wear it everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nessa! This fabric came in blue and white as well but since I tend to choose blues, I thought that the coral would be a nice new addition to my wardrobe.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress, love the design and the colour, looks so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this dress. I think I first found your blog after spotting your green version somewhere. This style suits you so well, and the fabric you've chosen for this version is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another winner, Margo! I love the fabric and pattern details - so flattering on you. As a beginner in the sewing world, I have made a few maxi skirts, which I find so comfortable and versatile. I have New Look 6095 and a great fabric to attempt next. I hope you are enjoying our great summer weather.
    Almeda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Almeda! I would love to see those skirts!! Newlook 6095 is a great versitile pattern. I made a striped version last year. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. That is so perfect! You did a terrific job matching the pattern, and matching fabric to pattern.
    This is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becki! The pattern matching fell into place nicely that day...some days it requires a little more effort than others. :)

      Delete
  10. This is so lovely Margo! I think you're so good at sewing really classic looking dresses that look so chic but still stand out because of your fabric choices.
    My summer uniform this year has been simple pull on skirts & t-shirts - lots of pockets for baby stuff & material that doesn't need ironed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathryn! Pockets are a must have when you have small children!! And who wants to iron ever!?

      Delete
  11. just found your blog via this dress on Pattern Review and wow you make so many great things. Love your style, colorful and lots of cute dresses. this pattern I have had in my stash for a while, I see you have made 2 versions and both are great. Next spring I will give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete