Friday, January 8, 2016

Put A Pom Pom On It... A Fur One




With the longer winter nights, I have found myself sitting in front of the TV more than usual...but my family with tell you that I am terrible at sitting still for an entire movie or TV show. So I thought I would start some knitting again....a small project of course...


I found this hat pattern in a Bernat pattern booklet. I have made this hat for my daughters using a lighter yarn that was super cute. This time around I used Loops & Threads Charisma in red. I love the color and thought that the fur pom pom in a brown that matched closely to my hair color would be fun.



This pattern is knit on straight needles and I treated myself to a  new pair of Knit Picks needles...have any of you used these?! I love them! 



 The pattern looks complicated to (at least to my untrained knitters eye) but it really isn't. I made this hat in two evenings...pretty good for me. I think that my best knitting really does come is small projects and if I can add a cool pom pom...even better!




27 comments:

  1. super cute! I love bobble hats. Tell me... is it always sunny where you live?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! No, it's not always sunny but I take my pictures when it is.... :)

      Delete
  2. As someone who can't watch TV without knitting I'm giving you a big high five right now. Perfect fast project and the pom pom makes it look luxurious. Think you'll get plenty of use out of that hat this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a good knitter so my "TV" projects have to simple. I love the pom pom...it's fun.

      Delete
  3. Love your hat. One question, where did you get the great fur pompom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! It is a Bernat pompom...I think Walmart carries them in the US. I bought mine at Fabricville here in Canada.

      Delete
  4. This looks great! I love the colours you've used, and all wooly hats should have a good pompom! I'd love to try knitting sometime, especially as it would be a bit more of a social craft than sewing in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I'm not sure how social I could be while knitting...it takes every bit of concentration I can muster...I would either knit or be social...I don't think that both would happen. Maybe with some practice..

      Delete
  5. Cute hat, Margo. I like the pattern and I do like that pom pom. My husband has been asking for a new hat lately ( he still wears the one I knit in 1977!!!!!) so maybe it's time to get the knitting needles out. I've never heard of knit pick needles. Can you describe what is different about them?
    Almeda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes..sounds like it is time for knitting again! The Knit Pick needles are made of laminated birch...I like the rainbow ones because they are so pretty...they are strong and smooth unlike the bamboo needles I have tried.

      Delete
  6. Cute! Where did you get the pom? Did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie! I didn't make it but I suppose you could. It is a Bernat product, I think they are available at Walmart in the US. I bought mine at Fabricville in Canada.

      Delete
  7. nice stitch pattern and cute pom pom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how easy this stitch pattern is and it looks great in a heavier wool. Thanks Sasha!

      Delete
  8. I love the fur pom pom! Great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I never learned to knit. I'm left handed & all my right handers could never quite get backward enough for me to understand hahaha. Love the Pom Pom. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't sit still for long either which is where either blogging or knitting comes in. I love your beanie and the pom pom does match your hair almost perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh I love it! The stitches details are so fabulous :) I made bobble hat as well but with very beginner stitches. xx

    ReplyDelete