Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Asymmetrical Stripes




Hey hey! Look whose sporting black and white stripes again! I am really loving this heavy ponte and bought enough of it to make a dress...(which I did here)  and have plenty left over to also make an asymmetrical skirt. My inspiration came from this skirt that I pinned on Pinterest. (the link goes nowhere...sorry)


Cute, isn't it!? I searched for a pattern but kept coming up short....but the more I studied this picture to make a pattern for myself the more I decided that it wasn't quite right for me. I felt that it was too short and that if I made it longer the two points would look odd right at my knees. Then I decided that I didn't really like the shape of the hemline at all and my desire to make it waned.


Then Burdastyle contacted me with an offer to try some of their patterns. I thought...oh yeah...Burdastyle... I had downloaded a free pattern from them way back when....I think maybe eight years ago. My daughter actually downloaded it and made a cute top. I thought is was cool but I'm always a late bloomer when it comes to technology. As you may have noticed, I don't tend to download and print many patterns but I am trying to because I do see the benefits! Pattern in my hands instantly! Hot off the presses when inspiration strikes! I could get into that!
I have quite a few of their magazines, which I LOVE! The styling and sample garments are gorgeous! But, you know what's worse than taping a pattern together..? Tracing one from the mag.... my attention span and I just can't do it no matter how hard we try! So, I browsed their patterns and found so many that I liked....no surprise. I have seen so many beautiful makes by my fellow bloggers and I love their styling!


When I came across this pattern for a bikini top and sarong I knew it would work for the skirt I wanted. The pattern is actually for an underskirt and separate sarong. I simply cut out the front and back pieces of the underskirt and the front piece of the sarong. I sewed the front piece of the sarong into the side seam of the underskirt and finished the waist with a wide soft elastic that turns to the inside. The skirt called for a side zip but I omitted it because this fabric had lots of stretch to accommodate pulling it on and off.  


In these pictures, you can see where I played with the striped binding. The simpler one appealed to me more for some reason. I found that when I tried it on, the one with the stripes along the bottom made me look very boxy...not a flattering look. It had great hanger appeal but no body appeal for me.


A few thoughts on Burdastyle patterns....I love the styling and sample garments! The pattern was easy to download and I printed it at my local office supply store. I jumped in two feet and cut out the pieces...totally forgetting to add the seam allowance!! Ahhhh!!!! I realized that this wasn't a problem because I wanted negative ease with this knit fabric. Whew. While I didn't use the instructions due to the changes I made...I did read through them. They made sense but I did miss having pictures to look at. I think that the final product is worth pushing through the instructions and most experienced sewers probably won't need more than the all text instructions. I have read other reviewers say that Burdastyle instructions are improved and I'm so glad because there are so many gorgeous patterns to try. If you want to try one of their patterns for yourself, this weekend Burdastyle is having a Christmas in July sale. A great time to get great savings of 50% on featured fall patterns and instructional videos.



I love the look of this new skirt! I have worn it so much already and I'm pretty pleased to have found a pattern that worked for it to go from inspiration to hanging in my closet. How much do you seek outside inspiration when you sew?


Disclaimer: While I was gifted this pattern, I was free to choose the pattern I wanted to try. I also purchased my own fabric and all opinions are enthusiastically my own!

30 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! The diagonal stripes are so bold and the length is sassy. What a winner!!! I"m never been into asymmetrical skirts, but this one is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian! Hubs liked your sassy comment!

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous! I love the use of different directional stripes. I've not tried a Burda pattern yet but have one of their shorts patterns traced & ready to go (I'm lucky, one of my friends traced it for me from her pattern!). I do try & keep a note of things I've seen in magazines, online etc for sewing inspiration but I think more inspiration comes from other sewers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! Wow! Nice friend! I wish I had friends who liked to trace. I look forward to seeing how the turn out!

      Delete
  3. You gave this skirt a lot of thought and it paid off! It is a great length on you and it looks comfy to wear. I hate taping patterns together but sometimes it is really worthy.
    About the photos, I see you are still "shining some light on your bum" (was that the expression?) I've been trying that on my last photos and I was meaning to ask you whether the flash in your camera should work at the same time, because I don't seem to get the same effect.
    You are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merche! I am really seeing the benefits of PDF patterns now...it took me awhile. As far as my pictures...I don't use a flash but I always take my pictures on a very sunny day and find the early morning light gives me the best results. This summer has been so rainy that getting pictures is difficult. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I like your skirt far more than your original inspiration. I am loving the assymetrical styles at the moment and always love stripes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so pleased to find a pattern that worked perfect for what I wanted! Super easy to put together!

      Delete
  5. Burda picked the right stylish sewing blogger to feature their pattern with you Margo. You look great and the fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Maria! It is such a comfy skirt.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful new skirt and I like the simplicity of the single stripe band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I really debated with myself over the binding....decisions are not easy sometimes.

      Delete
  7. This looks awesome Margo! I love that diagonal binding piece! Thanks for your review of Burda too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I debated the whole binding thing and really liked it across the bottom until I put it on...funny how something can look great on the hanger but not on the body....bummer.

      Delete
  8. I love the graphic stripes and geometrical shapes of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan! I love myself some stripes.

      Delete
  9. Ooooo me likey! Very bold and chic with that striped fabric. I'm sure no one would believe you sewed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're style is always so classy. I admire your handmade closet so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! (No surprise- I want everything you make :P) Yours really improves upon the inspiration skirt as well. Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It was so nice to find a pattern that would work for this skirt.

      Delete
  12. Great striped skirt! I really like your design decisions - it turned out very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noelle. Sometimes things just work out...

      Delete
  13. Ohhh! I love your new skirt! So beautifully made and suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete