Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Polka Dot Chambray


Hey Everyone! I have made another Burda 6849 shirt...a chambray shirt. A chambray with POLKA DOTS shirt! Yes..polka dots!

Let me ask you....when you decide on a sewing project what comes first? The pattern or the fabric? I'm pretty sure we all have a different process when it comes down to it. Sometimes it is the need to fill a gap in a me made wardrobe...so the pattern comes first and I am on the hunt for the perfect fabric. Other times I'm in the fabric store and just HAVE TO HAVE THAT FABRIC! I have no idea what I'm going to make and my enormous stash is proof that this scenario happens most frequently for me.
This time was a little different though...it was like having twins. I saw the fabric and knew exactly which pattern I was going to use. 



I know that the last time I made this shirt I said I would try the Archer but I do like the fit of this one. The length works well for me and I can see me wearing it as a kind of jacket over t-shirts or dresses for cooler summer evenings. I also like the narrow sleeve and this shirt fits me well across my wider shoulders. If a pattern fits so well without any alterations, why wouldn't I make it again?


I won't go into a full review of this shirt but will say that I added the pocket flaps this time. My topstitching is ok but I think it could be better. I also used buttons despite my previous love for pearl snaps. I didn't want the closures to stand out too much on this shirt so navy buttons were used.


I wore it here with simple white shorts but there are so many ways to wear a chambray shirt and I will wear it all summer long!


14 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. And the fit is perfect! If it's broken, don't fix it right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirt, I just love polka dots! For me the fabric comes first most of the times and then i try to find a pattern for it. Sometimes without any luck... But I'm actually planning what I'm going to sew during summer to fill some holes in my wardrobe. And I'm starting from the pattern to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chambray shirt fits perfectly! I agree - endless possibilities to wear this shirt throughout the summer. A great color and another winner, Margo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great and I love the pocket flaps. I think everybody needs a good chambray button up shirt - or two or three... I wish I could say that I am organized enough to plan my sewing, but I have tons of fabric and patterns stashed away so who knows what comes first. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hhmmm. Sometimes I start with the fabric and then other times it's the pattern.
    This is a fabulous shirt Margo and it fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shirt looks terrific on you and all of your choices seem like the right ones as the results illustrate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to pick patterns first and fabrics afterwards, but when love at first sight hits in the fabric store (or there is a big sale on) fabric definitely comes first!! Your shirt is beautiful, and a classic button-down is so versatile. And look at that sun! Whereabouts in Canada do you live that the weather turns from snow to warm sun so quickly??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it isn't broken, don't fix it! As much as I love the Grainline Archer, I really like a fitted shirt as well. Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I have to become a shirt-wearer, I really must, so that I can make such pretty elegant things as your shirt!!! The fit is just perfect. I never tried the Archer, only a couple of Burda shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this. So much I got the pattern today! I'm on a bit of a shirt binge at the moment & I've been searching for a pattern to use some lightweight denim. Perfect.
    Love, love the fabric!
    Does the centre back seam have much shaping to it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful fabric … beautiful fit … I love it! Ok, I might be biased towards button down shirts but this is really beautiful and perfectly made!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pattern is a definite keeper. There are lots of variations that you can achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have an edge stitch foot? Will make the topstitching a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pattern shows that there is a back center seam in addition to the two darts. Did you eliminate the cb seam? It doesn't show in your pics. Just curious bc I'm having a terrible time fitting my archer (which doesn't have a cb seam) and I may need to add a cb seam. I've been trying to decide if it would look okay with a cb seam.

    ReplyDelete