Friday, April 17, 2015

A Simple Return With McCalls 6886




Hey everybody! It has been so long since I have posted but rather than going into a loooong rant about the winter we have had and its ill affects on my blogging....I'll just say alleluia! it's great to be back! My absence here has not meant that I haven't been sewing. I most definitely have...but my longing for spring and summer lead me to sew spring and summer goodies. And as you can see in my pictures...we still have snow around...that's Canada for ya.. and picture taking of a summer dress in a spring blizzard wasn't happening.


I thought I would return with a simple striped dress and McCalls 6886 fit the bill. I chose a 3/4 length sleeve because it is still chilly here and due to the heavy weight of this ponte, I will be less inclined to wear it in the summer anyway.




 My Review: 

Pattern: McCalls 6886

Fabric used: A black and white striped ponte. It quite a heavy one and I like that for spring and fall.

Instructions:  The instuctions couldn't have been simpler... 

Changes I made: I didn't make any changes to this dress but I will tell you that this is the second one that I made. The first pattern I chose was Newlook 6095. I made this dress in a red and white stripe here but didn't like the CB seam so I set out in search of another pattern without the CB seam.

Repeat worthy? Sure. I think though after seeing these pictures..which is always so helpful!...I will take it in a bit more.There is a bit of excess around the waist that could be taken in.


I like how versatile a striped dress can be, especially for spring and I know that I will wear this often. I can see wearing it with any of my colored cardigans, adding a belt, wearing it casual with a tied up denim shirt and a pair of sneaks, or pairing it with my Fall Fatigue jacket and boots for fall!
 Shame on me for even letting thoughts of fall cross my mind!

Dress:self made Blazer:Kenneth Cole Shoes:Franco Sarto Necklace:Suzy Shier

30 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!! This winter was brutal, but I've happily forgotten all about it now that it's warmed up. Just need to get the snow tires taken off!
    Your dress looks great! You'll definitely be able to dress it up or down in lots of ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stripes and this fabric looks fantastic made into a shift dress. Enjoy your warmer weather. Ours is starting to cool now :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh I hope your winter treats you better than ours did!

      Delete
  3. It looks great. Can't believe you still have snow, brr....hope it's gone soon! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa, the snow is melting though. I ran in shorts the other day...it was only nine degrees but the sun felt warm!

      Delete
  4. A simple return - yes, but very polished and professional looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye! That is such a compliment coming from you.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, dear! Fantastic dress for spring and it well matched with your blazer. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hana! It was still cool that day so I really needed the blazer.

      Delete
  6. So glad you're back! As always you make even the simplest pieces look so amazing! I love it paired with red, but I know it will look just as good with all the other styling options you listed. Fingers crossed that all that snow melts ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! Thanks! I'm glad to be back to posting. I just found it too dreary to make anymore winterish clothing and then go out in the cold to photograph it. I think the break was a good thing and now the snow is disappearing a little more each day. Yay!

      Delete
  7. that is a great dress for spring ... if there is something that will never go out of fashion that is the nautical chic. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone recently told me that horizontal stripes weren't flattering but I hope that isn't the case. Nautical chic depends on those stripes so much! Thanks Sasha!

      Delete
  8. Such a classic versatile dress, Margo. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable outfit, you really put it all together so well. That dress suits you perfectly and I agree that you will match it with so many, many things.
    I've been watching your ski pics, you seemed to enjoy winter as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really enjoy snowboarding in the winter but I guess I only really like when the snow is on the ski hill and not my driveway! lol Thanks Becki, I know that I will wear this dress lots!

      Delete
  10. Very nice Margo! Classic. Yes, Spring is finally catching up here in NS;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rikki! Yes thank goodness it's finally warming up!

      Delete
  11. Welcome back Margo! This is such a classic chic dress, I can see you getting loads of wear from it. I was so happy to see spring too, and we didn't even have any snow this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathryn! A little break from blogging and now the warm weather...it's a good feeling.

      Delete
  12. Welcome back! Gorgeous, classic dress :) Hope Spring arrives properly for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Tasha! I missed everyone too! I am not only catching up on blogging but also my blog reading!

      Delete
  14. Margo, absence really does make the heart grow fonder! I checked your blog regularly, thinking that my feed reader must be missing something! I'm so happy to see you posting again. I totally agree that stripes are very versatile and a great wardrobe staple. I'll be adding this dress to my to-sew list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe the break was a good thing! ;) Thanks, you are so sweet! You should totally make this dress...quick, easy, satisfying make.

      Delete
  15. Very simple but stunningly effective. Looks great with the bright jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Margo! Sorry I'm late in commenting. I did read your post back when, and was kind of agog that you still had snow on the ground, LOL. Sigh...I'm such a west coast girl. Anyways...you're back and look as beautiful as ever! You wear these bold, saturated hues with such elegance! You and Kate Middleton...both so very stylish! I have been trying to find a navy and white ponte, but so far only black. PS LOVE those shoes! They're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete