Thursday, November 15, 2012

Around My House


When I was cleaning the kids bathroom the other day it dawned on me that I had another project to post... the shower curtain. Last spring, I came across lots of pictures of the waterfall ruffled shower curtains and knew that I could make one...it was time consuming but so worth it! 







 For mine, I used a white flat sheet for the backing and some textured white fabric that I thrifted (of course) for the ruffles. Using my rotary cutter, I cut my strips in the desired length and width. I calculated the width of each strip by measuring the length of the finished curtain and then finding a width that wouldn't leave me with a half strip at the top or bottom. Say if my total length was 100 inches, I might choose to cut 20 five inch strips... to make it even. I hope that makes sense... 

For the length of each strip, I just cut it to be double the desired width of the finished shower curtain to account for the gathering. I used my serger to finish all sides of the strips (this was much easier then hemming them).Then I gathered each strip and pinned it to the backing and stitched it on. Like I said before, time consuming!!! But I love the results. The fabric is a polyester, like a tablecloth, but it washes well, which it needed when it is white.




The paint color I used is one of my favorites, Benjamin Moore Whythe Blue. I loved it so much, I used it in my sewing room too!



No comments:

Post a Comment